[MtoA] The case of the machine that was unable to dynamically load mtoa.mll


In this case, a Windows 7 machine did support SSE4.2, but Maya 2017 still couldn’t load mtoa.mll.

I didn’t get a full Process Monitor log from the client, but I did get a Dependency Walker log, and this case, that was enough.

When you first open a Dependency Walker (dwi) file, it’s easy to focus on the wrong thing. In this case, the missing MSVCR90.DLL (Visual Studio 2008 redistributable) might catch your eye.

dwi_01.jpg

But you can ignore that, because if you take a closer look, you’ll see that MSVCR90.DLL is indeed found and loaded.

dwi_02.jpg

Likewise, you can ignore all these. You’ll almost always see most of those in a Dependency Walker log for Windows 7 and up.

dwi_03

What’s important in this depends log is the warning for AI.DLL.

dwi_04

That warning means that there’s missing functions: MtoA (MTOA.MLL) expects to use certain functions provided by Arnold (AI.DLL), but those functions aren’t there. For example:

dwi_05

And finally, if we click View > Full Paths, we see the reason for the problem:

dwi_06

There’s some older version of Arnold on the system, and that old version is being loaded by MtoA.mll. Most likely, the system PATH includes this location.

With a Process Monitor log, we would have seen right away that ai.dll was being loaded from a non-standard location.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s