In general, the more cores the better.
Here’s some general guidelines for choosing hardware:
- Arnold scales linearly with increasing processor speed
- Arnold scales well to multiple cores
- For a rough estimate of expected performance, you can multiply the clock speed by the number of physical cores.
- Get enough RAM to hold your typical data sets (you probably should run
some tests with your most challenging scenes)
- Hyperthreading on Intel processors usually gives about 1.2x speedup on average.
- If possible, running some tests is the best way to choose the best hardware for you