In this case, Maya 2015 (Windows) disappeared a few seconds after I clicked the MtoA Loaded check box in the Plug-in Manager. Eventually I tracked it down to this line in my pluginPrefs.mel:
evalDeferred("autoLoadPlugin(\"\", \"PolyTools\", \"PolyTools\")");
Darn you PolyTools, I forgot about you 😉 There’s some kind of conflict between PolyTools (from the Maya BonusTools) and MtoA.
I tracked this down the hard way, by renaming my 2015 MAYA_APP_DIR to 2015-x64.bak and starting over with the default preferences, and then comparing the two.
An easier way (on Windows) would have been to use MTOA_STARTUP_LOG_VERBOSITY along with the -log command-line flag (for example, maya -log %TEMP%\mayastartup.log), which would have given me this:
* Arnold 220.127.116.11.wip windows icc-13.1.3 oiio-1.4.14 rlm-11.1.2 2015/01/23 16:50:01
* CRASHED in Tstring::formatToWidth at 00:00:00, pixel (0, 0)
* signal caught: error C0000005 -- access violation
* 0 0x0000000045476700 [ai ] AiArray
* 1 0x0000000045477eff [ai ] AiArray
* 2 0x00000000773cb940 [kernel32 ] UnhandledExceptionFilter
* 3 0x00000000774e3398 [ntdll ] MD5Final
* 4 0x00000000774685c8 [ntdll ] _C_specific_handler
* 5 0x0000000077479d2d [ntdll ] RtlDecodePointer
* 6 0x00000000774691cf [ntdll ] RtlUnwindEx
* 7 0x00000000774a1248 [ntdll ] KiUserExceptionDispatcher
>> 8 0x000007fee46eeb05 [FOUNDATION ] Tstring::formatToWidth
* 9 0x000007fee46efff5 [FOUNDATION ] Tstring::set
* 10 0x000007febe593e9c [PolyTools ] uninitializePlugin
* 11 0x000007febe593feb [PolyTools ] uninitializePlugin
The -o flag changes the output path for the beauty AOV only. For other AOVs, kick still uses the output paths specified in the ASS file (the AOV output paths are specified by the filename parameter of the driver nodes in an ASS file).
It is possible, however, to use kick -set to change the output path and file name of specific AOVs, but you’d have to know the AOV names in advance. For example:
kick -set defaultArnoldDriver@driver_exr.RGBA.direct_diffuse.filename "C:/temp/direct_diffuse.exr" -i example.ass
Here’s why new environment variable settings (like, say, a new solidangle_LICENSE setting) are not always picked up by Deadline:
Deadline Slave and MayaBatch are child processes of Deadline Launcher, and so they inherit their environment from their parent process (deadlinelauncherservice). If you don’t restart the Launcher, it won’t have the new environment, and neither will child processes like the Monitor or MayaBatch. Restarting the service will restart the child processes too.
However, if you didn’t install the Launcher as a service, it is slightly more complicated. When you exit and restart the Launcher, the child processes may end up as “orphans” with the same old environment, and you’ll have to restart them too. In the screenshot below, Deadline Monitor and Deadline Slave were child processes of Launcher, but when I exited Launcher they kept running.
Like MtoA, Yeti exports UV coordinates in the uparamcoord and vparamcoord parameters, and you use these to map textures in the aiHair shader with the Uparam and Vparam extra attributes.
For example, if you plug a texture into the Rootcolor and tipcolor
then you can use uparamcoord and vparamcoord to map that texture onto the hair:
Tip If you enable Expand Procedurals and export an ASS file, you can see what parametes Yeti exports:
### created by pgYetiMayaShape
num_points 621 1 b85UINT
points 4347 1 b85POINT
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1
declare curve_id uniform UINT
curve_id 621 1 b85UINT
declare uparamcoord uniform FLOAT
uparamcoord 621 1 b85FLOAT
declare vparamcoord uniform FLOAT
vparamcoord 621 1 b85FLOAT
declare surf_s uniform FLOAT
surf_s 621 1 b85FLOAT
declare surf_t uniform FLOAT
surf_t 621 1 b85FLOAT
declare length uniform FLOAT
length 621 1 b85FLOAT
declare fur_id uniform FLOAT
fur_id 621 1 b85FLOAT
declare surf_n uniform VECTOR
surf_n 621 1 b85VECTOR
declare filename constant STRING
declare mtoa_shading_groups constant ARRAY NODE
declare frame constant INT
declare verbosity constant INT
declare density constant FLOAT
declare width constant FLOAT
declare threads constant INT
declare min_pixel_width constant FLOAT
declare mode constant INT
declare imageSearchPath constant STRING
declare samples constant ARRAY FLOAT
I’ve had a few cases where people weren’t sure how to get the Arnold log from Royal Render. The Arnold log is pretty important, at least for me, so here’s how to get it.
First, when you submit the job, set the log verbosity in rrSubmitter. You can do that in the Override section, but note that the verbosity levels in the Verbose list don’t match up with the newer MtoA verbosity levels. To get a Debug log, you’ll have to set the Verbose to Progress.
You can view the log in rrControl:
If you want to set multiple Arnold parameters in a User Options string, you can use any whitespace (spaces, tabs, newlines eg \n) that you would use in an actual ASS file.
For example, this:
enable_procedural_cache off error_color_bad_pixel 1 .25 1 declare test constant FLOAT test 2
would add these lines to your options node:
error_color_bad_pixel 1 0.25 1
declare test constant FLOAT
Note: Plugins like MtoA and SItoA use AiNodeSetAttributes to set the user options.
The User Options string is a way to set parameters that are not exposed by the plugins. MtoA provides a User Options string for the render options and for shapes. SItoA also has User Options strings for render options and shapes.